Monday, February 27, 2012

Learning to fly, but I ain't got wings

I leave in 4 days. 4 WHOLE DAYS. My next few days are jam-packed, which is probably for the best, considering that if I wasn't busy, I would be pacing the floors and refusing sleep due to the sheer excitement of it all.

From safteysign.com
I'm taking my chances this time around and flying out of Flint's Bishop International Airport. Usually, I'm a DTW kind of girl, but the flight out of Flint was much cheaper than DTW or even out of Lansing's little airport (it was almost $100 more to fly Lansing to Detroit, switch planes, go Detroit to Atlanta, switch AGAIN, then Atlanta to Jacksonville. Bleah.) I've never been there, but my mom flew out of there a few weeks ago, commenting, "this (the airport) must be the nicest place in Flint!" That doesn't surprise me. I like smaller airports with less chaos. Big plus.

Of course, I then fly into Atlanta with an almost-2 hour layover. The airport is HUGE. Last time I was there, on the Europe trip, we spent almost 8 hours perusing the concourse. My concern is, besides the cookie stand being closed, that I'll somehow get lost. I'll be tired and disorientated when getting off my (6AM) flight. There are about 6 different concourse areas, all connected with this people-mover shuttle type thing. My other concern is that I'll get distracted by the CNN store (yes, I'm a geek) and not make it to the plane in time.

I will finally land in Jacksonville at approximately noon, where the 6-hour road trip will commence. Jacksonville is ok, a mid-sized airport. Just have to make my way from the gate to the luggage claim, then find Maureen's car. Speaking of which, I have NO idea what she is driving these days. Shoot.

Daisy would KILL me if I bought this from Skymall
What to do on the flights.... I would use my laptop, but apparently you have to pay for Wi-Fi at the Atlanta airport, and Delta charges $12 for a 24 hour pass assuming your flight has Wi-Fi capabilities. After take off and landing times where electronics can't be on, I'm looking at using the internet for about 2 hours. There's always Skymall and it's ridiculous items (my recent favorite item, thanks to the Huffington Post's article, is the "wine glass holder necklace"  or the "Beer pager" - and I tried to get the guys to buy the floating poker table last summer for a party), and there's always my Kindle assuming it's charged and ready to go. I doubt sleep will happen, but a girl can try...

Any way you look at it, being bored on a plane on the way to a vacation trumps a busy day at work every single time.

No comments: