Thursday, February 9, 2012

Rainforests, ATV's, Beaches, and St. Kitts

The island looks like a chicken leg.
So...I know NOTHING about St. Kitts. I didn't even know it existed until Maureen told me its on our itinerary. Maureen's presentation on the ship about St. Kitts is about the religious diversity on the island. I'm all for diversity and religion, and the two mixing, but I'm hoping that there is more to this island...

I learned that the name "St. Kitts" is actually short for "St. Christopher" - when Christopher Columbus discovered the island back in the day, he named it for himself -or, as he claimed, for his patron saint. After there was a British colony officially established there in the mid 1800's, the Brits began calling it "St. Kitts" as a nickname. The name eventually stuck.

Apparently St. Kitts is known for its clear waters (bordering the Atlantic Ocean on one side and the Caribbean Sea on the other 3) and having  hosted the 2007 Cricket World Cup. I'll be honest- I'm interested in the beaches, not so much interested in cricket.

We are visiting Basseterre, which is the capital of St. Kitts. The port guide from Royal Caribbean recommends visiting a few churches, The Circus (main shopping area), and a few historical places that were allegedly used in the slave trade in the 1800's. I'm a little concerned that the port guide doesn't mention a beach outside of the capital that is easily accessible. We're docked from 7am-5pm, so we have the entire day on the island if we so choose.

I reviewed the excursions that Royal Caribbean is offering for this trip. Of course, there's a few beach ones...all for a cost... I highlighted the ones I was the most interested in (I added the costs when evaluating ALL of my choices since I'm still a girl on a budget. But really, how often does someone get the chance to walk up a dormant volcano? Money, while an object, can't compare to experiences sometimes).
  • Beach Extravaganza: you take a ride to a resort beach area, where you have a beach chair and drink reserved for you. They recommend it is a 3.5-4 hour excursion. $44 for the ride/drink/chair reservation (though I kind of object to having to pay to sit on a beach)
  • Caribbean Cooks- watch and learn about Caribbean cooking and of course, spend the time sampling foods and touring the grounds. $79
  • Caribbean Plantation and Beach: Car trip through Basseterre to tour a plantation, drive to a stop in Timothy Hill (scenic stop), then a swim stop at Frigate Bay Beach. $54
  • Caribbean Scenic Rail: a chance to see the entire island by rail (you get a top and bottom seat) in 3 hours. $99-$149 (you can take an extra hour and take a catamaran around part of the island as well)
  • Catamaran Fan-Ta-Sea: take a catamaran to snorkel in "Shitten Bay" (HAHAHAHA), travel through the Narrows (channel between St. Kitts and Neven, its sister island), and lunch on Pinney's Beach. $104
  • Deep Sea Fishing: 4 hour fishing tour $175
  • Eco Explorer: Nature walk/hike up the Wingfield River, the largest source of spring water in St. Kitts. $57
  • Plantation and Afternoon Tea: walk around a house, have some tea. $56-$89. It's cheaper if you skip the tea and go straight to the beach, so of course, I'll skip the $30 tea
  • 4x4 Adventure: Sight seeing tour, riding in a British 4x4 across the island. Stop at Cockelshell Bay for a swim. $59
  • Mt. Liamuiga Hike: Hike 3000 feet above sea level on a dormant volcano, light picnic lunch at the summit, and panoramic views. 6 hour trip, including car ride, $99
  • Mountain Biking and Beach tour: Just like it sounds.. $78
  • Nature Kayaking: again, just like it sounds. $79
  • Panoramic St. Kitts: Driving around, taking pictures for 2 hours. $49
  • ATV and beach trip (!!): Drive through cane fields and back roads, then a trip to the beach. 4 hour trip (including beach stop) $99
  • Golf: PASS. $145
  • Zip line: I've been told to do this, and I *highly* doubt I will (I don't think the cord can support my weight!!) "sit back and fly along the lines up to 1,400 feet in length, 25 stories above the ground" $79
  • Snorkeling: $69
  • SNUBA (yes, SNUBA) diving- shallow water diving for 50 minutes, plus some beach time. Don't need to be a SCUBA diver to try it! $79
  • Rainforest Adventure:  Romney Manor, a brief visit at Caribelle, then hike the Wingfield Forest Trail. "See a rainforest alive with exotic plants like heliconias bamboo, ferns, palms and elephant ears that festoon the area. Sample some of the local fruits along the way. The area is also abundantly alive with caterpillars and colorful lizards." 4 hour trip for $67
  • Essential St. Kitts Tour: Visit to Independence Square, The Anglican Church, War Memorial, Caribelle Batik at Romney Manor, and visit Brimstone Hill Fortress. $49
Base of Mt. Liamuiga
I've just realized that I want to do ACTIVE stuff while on this island. The beach mentality is leaving... nooo! I really like  the idea of going up to the summit of a dormant volcano because that's just awesome sounding. I really like the idea of walking through a rainforest too (with a guide, of course). Neither of those involve a beach. My problem is, after one of those tours, I'm really going to want to just lie on a beach and be lazy. I guess I can just plan on being lazy on the ship...!

I learned that the island has a specialty drink called a Cane Spirit Rothschild. The drink apparently is a cross between vodka and white rum. It's made with locally grown sugar cane, too. And, of course, I discovered their food specialty: a Conkie. Sounds dirty and offensive- of course I plan on trying it. A Conkie is dough filled with a mix of sweet potatoes, coconut, brown sugar, raisins, nutmeg, milk, and pumpkin. The dough is then wrapped in banana leaves and boiled.

The dream? Driving a 4x4 through the rainforest, ending up at a beach, with a hot man waiting for me with a beach chair, Cane Spirit Rothschild and a Conkie. One can only hope.

No comments: