Friday, March 9, 2012

Faiti (Fake Haiti)


Today was just a beach day. Labadee is a strip of land that is leased by Royal Caribbean for a “tropical paradise”- it’s nothing like the Haiti we hear about on CNN. There were clear waters, beach chairs, zip lines, bars everywhere… it was gorgeous. And HOT. I wore 70 SPF on most of my body and a floppy beach hat, and I’m currently slathered in aloe trying to soothe my heat rash. 

All we did was browse the local artisan market, have a BBQ lunch, go into the Caribbean, and read in our chairs for a few hours. In addition to the heat rash, I whacked my toe- HARD- into a rock in the water. The damn rock tore a chunk of my toenail off, and it’s throbbing. 

To make it better, Maureen and I are ordering (free) room service and just relaxing indoors until dinner. The crew is throwing some kind of “circus” from 5:30-7 tonight on the main Promenade, which we figure we’ll go and explore. We may go and lay upstairs in the solarium, relaxing in the (shaded) weather as we cruise back home. One more day at sea, then we’re back in Ft. Lauderdale.

UPDATE:  At dinner tonight, one of the couples we sit with was loaded. The wife wasn’t too bad, but the husband was 2 margarita’s in and was a riot. At one point, he commanded the attention of the table and announced, “Do you know what makes me happy? Midgets. You can’t look at one and not smile!” Maureen literally choked on her Diet Coke, and I had to turn my head away as I was laughing so hard. Who says that?! And the husband in the older couple we sat with was pretty toasted too and didn’t totally understand why we were talking about midgets and kept asking about therapy pets- there’s a woman on the boat who has a little yappy dog with her. She pushes the dog around in a stroller and lets it eat off of the plates in the dining room (which led to an angry guest complaining). I commented at dinner that it was likely a therapy/companion animal, as I would not know why else the dog was let on the ship. But man, between talking about the dog and midgets, I don’t know how tonight’s dinner will top it.

No comments: