Saturday, March 10, 2012

Guest post by Professor Maureen MacLeon (or MacLeod, for those who are technical)


So the cruise is coming to an end. I know Liz has been keeping everyone updated on our cruisin’ status but I thought I should have the opportunity to put in my two cents! 

This is the longest Liz and I have spent together in nearly 4 years, between living in France and Florida, Liz and I have maintained our “best friend” status through emails, texting, and lengthy phone calls. So this was a good test of not only our friendship but Liz’s ultimate survival skills. Ultimately, we have succeeded and our friendship, strong before is probably even better. I think we may need to start a yearly cruising ritual. That is not to say that we did not get on each other’s nerves, which indeed we did, but it all was rather trivial so if you are looking for a vacationing companion, I give Liz my an “A.” And she will tell you that I am rather critical of my travel companions. 

As I know Liz has mentioned, I gave lectures on this cruise. Destination lectures on the four places we traveled all based in history. The lectures went very well, Liz was my second in command and came in to save me numerous time, like when I forgot the first page of my lecture notes in the room she ran back upstairs and got them for me. Big save! My worst fears about being a lecturer was that I would have someone who wanted to talk to me all the time about history. A lecture stalker. This did not happen, which was great, I think it is largely because I was so much younger than my audience that they kind of realized that this was a vacation for me too, but I did get great questions and reviews so it was a major plus. 

The destinations were great, we did not have enough time in Puerto Rico, which was unfortunate because there was so much to see. Liz got to meet a friend of my from Tallahassee, DJ, who as Liz mentioned is a neurotic freak (right Donna?). I warned her about him as best I could but in reality you just have to meet him. Granted I know he is strange but we are still really good friends, he is like a cyst that keeps growing on you and eventually no matter how many times you try to remove it, it just stays there. Don’t get me wrong, he knows all of this too, one of those people who is totally aware that he is an oddball. 

Haiti was interesting, difficult for me because the Haiti we saw was not the Haiti I know. As a French historian, I know Haiti is a place fraught with turmoil, disease, political corruption, and poverty. The Haiti we saw was owned by Royal Caribbean and a beautiful resort, or as Liz called it Faiti. We went to the artisan market where we tried to barter with “local” Royal Caribbean approved artisans. I realized midway through that it was going to be necessary to speak in French to get the best deal and if I could through in some Creole that would be good. So we got some sweet deals and I got some good descriptions of the things we bought that they could not explain in English. Woohoo French language skills! 

So as Liz mentioned, I insisted we switched dinner tables to have better companions. Indeed we found them. I like to think we made our “new” table awesome. The young hip kids, that get everyone going. There are two couples from Montreal and another couple from Indianapolis. We shut down the dining room every evening. The original couple we met from Montreal is awesome, and the husband, Adrian makes me laugh hysterically with his light French Canadian accent and his desire to eat Filet Mignon and French fries every evening. The other couple from Montreal are the definition of douchebags, he knows everything and she doesn’t have an opinion about anything. The last couple is sweet and friendly. The husband is hilarious and was rip roaring drunk last night. Overall, major plus to switching tables.

Alright, my guest performance is complete. This was a great trip with Liz, and she will be sure to fill you in on everything else. We get back to Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow, where her grandparents will pick us up, I love her grandparents and if we indeed survive the drive back to Leisureville, we will be meeting up with my parents who are leaving for a cruise Monday out of Ft. Lauderdale. I am totally stoked to see them. Lastly, we will be driving back to Jacksonville tomorrow and staying overnight there until Liz flies out on Monday morning. I must say that we did not need any of her lame road trip games, we had the awesome conversations covered and entertained ourselves with some Livin’ la vida Loca!

No comments: