Monday, March 29, 2010

God Save the Queen


Here's the run-down of the London sites we will be taking in over our 4 day stay. The group decided to get the London Pass (2 day), and the other 3 are going to Bath/Stonehenge for one day -- I am going to hit all of the free museums and enjoy the city proper on my own.

Tower of London: It's a tower. It's in London. It was a PRISON! We have secured passes to view the "Ceremony of the Keys", a traditional ceremony that closes out the tower. http://www.hrp.org.uk/

London Eye: It doesn't have great reviews, but it's a quick way to see all of London. Plus, it looks fun and touristy. AND, when will I ever get to go on it again?? http://www.londoneye.com/

St. Paul's Cathedral, the "world famous centre of Christian worship and mission and heritage." ... what does that make the Vatican?? Either way, there is a LOT of religion happening on this trip... http://www.stpauls.co.uk/

Kensington Palace (I'm meeting the kids there before they go to Bath): a "royal residence" somewhere between London and Bath. http://www.hrp.org.uk/KensingtonPalace/stories.aspx

ABBEY ROAD. I'm not explaining this to you, as if you don't know the significance of this stop, we cannot be friends anymore.

Tower Bridge-- yes, I *will* be singing, "London Bridges", the Fergie version, per Justin's request.

Globe Theater-- just the tour. We're going to see a show in the "London Theater District." Apparently you can go to the ticket booths at 9:30 in the morning the day of a show and get half-off tickets!

Hyde Park-- it's free, it has the Princess Memorial Fountain, and it's right outside of my hotel.

Westminster Abbey: the living pagent of British History-- home of lots of funerals and the final resting place of many... but we'll go with "living" http://www.westminster-abbey.org/home

Are there sites that I'm missing??

2 comments:

Steve said...

The British Museum is a must, even if its only for an hour or 2 to just see the mummies and the Rosetta Stone. (and its free!) http://www.britishmuseum.org/default.aspx

I haven't been for almost 4 years(*sniffle, cry, whimper*), but I like walking around Camden Town and checking out the shops/markets (clothing, music, etc.) Usually some interesting peoplewatching there too.

Buy a copy of that week's Time Out magazine to see what's going on around town (or search Pollstar). I've gone to a concert every time I've been to London.

Are you going up to Liverpool? It's only a little over 2 hours on the train

Liz said...

The British Museum looks like its worth a couple of hours -- and I've heard good things about Camden Town. Thanks!

I haven't decided on Liverpool yet- 1) the distance irks me (that's one of the reasons I decided against Bath/Stonehenge), 2) I heard it's not all that safe, and 3) I can see a good deal of Beatles memorabilia in London proper :)

When you decide to go back, Steve, let me know - I'll totally go with you (haven't even been there yet, but already planning a 2nd trip!!)!