Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Ce n'est que le vent qui fait du bruit


French phrase of the day: "It's just the wind making noise." Ironic, because I just came up from the basement at work due to a tornado warning...

OK, onto the French sites listing! As you can see, I've discovered how to hyperlink other pages to mine. I may have gone overboard. Just a FYI: I have "Les Poissons" from The Little Mermaid running through my head as I'm typing out this list. CORRECTION: I have found the song on You Tube and am now listening to it as I type! WIN!

We purchased the "Paris Museum Pass" so a lot of our sites will be covered and discounted AND we get "front of the line" service... I'm already overwhelmed by the culture.

* The Louvre, of course. I'm going to stare deep into the inverted pyramid out front, while munching on my McDonalds, and see if I can see the Holy Grail.

* Orsay: Thanks to Wikipedia, I now know what pieces of art to look for while in this old train station.

* Arc de Triomphe: You can actually go *in* the arch! From the top of the arch, you can see all of the 12 major avenues in Paris. This is where the US got the idea of the "Eternal Flame" for JFK's grave, as there is one at the Arc for their Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

* Pantheon: I have no idea what this place is, but it's covered under the pass-- and I think Maureen said I should visit here...? It's apparently a large tomb, as the building is "...containing the remains of distinguished French citizens." Ever realize that, most touristy places are where famous people are buried? Anyone else think that's creepy?

* Notre Dame Tower and Treasury: a beautiful, large cathedral from the Roman Catholics. We know how to build things, and then ruin them.

* Eiffel Tower: Maureen said that this site is actually hated by most Parisians. And, after learning that it costs MORE to take the stairs than it does to take the elevator, I kind of do, too. Way to reward laziness!

* Palace of Versailles: We're taking a half day trip (short train ride) to view this palace. It was apparently the center of power in early France, as the nobility tried to move away from the crazy Parisians.

We also plan on spending a good amount of time shopping, eating, drinking wine, and napping. Or, at least, I do!

No comments: