Wednesday, April 14, 2010

♫ Rome, if you want to ♫



Since we just ordered the Roma Pass, thought I should run down the sites that we plan on visiting and solicit ideas/ itineraries for the 4 days we're there. On one of those days, Justin, Jason and Pam are going to Pompeii- I will be in the city, wandering on my own. There's a lot that the 4 of us want to do together, so I get to do the smaller stuff on my "day away."

The Roma Pass covers the metro/buses for 3 days, free entry into 2 sites, and discounted entries into other sites. I will be using this pass for the 3 days where the 4 of us are together; on the 4th day, I will buy metro/bus passes as needed, and either hit free/cheap sites or pay the full admission price. *Really* wish they had a 4 day option...!

The list of the participating sites with the Roma Pass (while the sites are in Italian...!)is pretty lengthy. But, most are museums. Not going to lie, but I'm not a HUGE museum person. I want to see the highlights and get out. I'm more of a "hands-on" kind of girl, if you know what I mean. I feel bad- I went through the Roma list and made notes on each of the sites the pass covers. While it will cover our entrance to the Colosseum and Roman Forum, plus travel for 3 days (and the pass pays for itself right there), I'm not sure how wild I am about some of these sites. Maybe I really *am* that uncultured.

Pantheon: The "Temple of the Gods" - it's now a Catholic church (go figure) and still has services on holy days and does weddings. But it's *gorgeous*-- at least, it looks that way...!

Colosseum: "Capable of seating 50,000 spectators, the Colosseum was used for gladiatorial contests and public spectacles. As well as the gladiatorial games, other public spectacles were held there, such as mock sea battles, animal hunts, executions, re-enactments of famous battles, and dramas based on Classical mythology. The building ceased to be used for entertainment in the early medieval era." Damn. Was hoping for a "mock sea battle" to be re-enacted while I was there. I've been warned that there are people dressed as gladiators walking around there who will take a picture with you-- for a fee.

Roman Forum/ Palatine Hill: The original center of the city. This is where Rome started, and branched out from. Palatine Hill is the center hill (of 7), right in the middle of the city. It looks down onto the Forum. Oooh.

Spanish Steps: "On June 13, 2007, a 24-year-old Colombian man attempted to drive a Toyota Celica down the Spanish Steps. No one was hurt, but several of the 200-year-old steps were chipped and scuffed. The driver was arrested and a breath test showed his blood alcohol content was twice the legal limit for driving" hehe. No wonder they've been redone numerous times (last time was 1995). Rome has banned "eating lunch" on the steps. Weird... but ok...

Trevi Fountain: "A traditional legend holds that if visitors throw a coin into the fountain, they are ensured a return to Rome. Among those who are unaware that the "three coins" of Three Coins in the Fountain were thrown by three different individuals, a reported current interpretation is that two coins will lead to a new romance and three will ensure either a marriage or divorce. A reported current version of this legend is that it is lucky to throw three coins with one's right hand over one's left shoulder into the Trevi Fountain. An estimated 3,000 euros are thrown into the fountain each day. The money has been used to subsidize a supermarket for Rome's needy." Yup, I'm throwing in 2 coins. I wonder if I throw 2 coins in on each day of the trip, if that's 4x as lucky??

Of course, we're devoting about an entire day to the Vatican and it's sites- they have even started doing night showings, from 7-11 pm (of course, you sign up in advance for it). I'm looking forward to this part of the Rome portion of the trip the most. The Vatican houses a whole host of treasures, plus the Basilica and the Sistine Chapel?! YES please!

I'm looking for suggestions for things to do/see on my day off.. ideas?

No comments: