Monday, April 26, 2010

Vatican's Scavi Tour


Yes, yes, I know I already posted today, but I just found something. Earlier last week, Pam messaged me that the nuns approved us, and we're now taking the St. Peter's Scavi Tour. I was all excited, yet didn't really know what it was.

We're apparently going *under* St. Peter's Basilica to view the real tomb of St. Peter, which is in a necropolis (city of the dead). I'm a little freaked out- there is a LOT of death and crypts and churches on this trip...!

I found on "Slow Travel Italy" a description of the tour. Favorite part? "The Ufficio Scavi (Excavations Office) people scared me. After all, I went to Catholic grammar school. I learned that you can't mess around with God and the people in the Vatican were certainly capable of telling God that I hadn't followed their instructions."

Anyway, it sounds exciting, a little scary, and not something that the average Vatican visitor gets to do. This almost makes up for the whole Pope-ditching-me thing. Almost.

No comments: