Friday, April 9, 2010

Top o' the Morning to ya



Today's topic/ iternary run down is for Ireland, sprinkled with a little bit of Irish trivia (thanks Maureen!) We will be in Dublin for a little under 24 hours- nothing too big, but it was apparently cheaper to add the day's stay in Dublin than it was to go without it. On a side note, I fully intend on going back to Ireland next year- hopefully to Belfast and to stay with family.

IRISH TRIVIA TIME!! What is the colloquial meaning of "riverdance"?

a) To skip to an upbeat tempo
b) To commit suicide in the Shannon River
c) To knit
d) To forgive the ancestors of someone who has wronged you

If you guessed "b" you are CORRECT!


We are doing the Dublin Bus Tour package- it's a 24 hour bus route that will take us to/from Dublin's top locations. Best part? It's under $20 and the pass gets us discounts to the stops (like 1€ off at the Guinness Factory!).

As you can see from the above, map, we will hit the Guinness Storehouse, St. Patrick's Cathedral (why do all of these churches require admission?!), Trinity Park, etc. We are there for such a short period of time... so sad...

TRIVIA BREAK! Who does the term "Plastic Paddy" refer to?

A. Someone of Irish heritage who was not born in Ireland.
B. A person who emigrated from Ireland to the US
C. A person who has moved to Ireland from the US
D. A person who was not born in Ireland and who has no Irish ancestry.

Guess D? You'd be wrong. A is the correct answer (i.e. *I* am a Plastic Paddy).


I think I am most excited about going to the cathedral and the Temple Bar. Just because I want to go to the Guinness Storehouse AND a bar... AND the Jamison distillery... does not make me a lush! It does, however, solidify the Irish drinking stereotype.I'm a McLellan- you shouldn't expect anything less.

Final Irish Trivia Match up: Match the Irish expression with the English translation

A. Dry up
B. I am in me wick
C. Luvly hurdling
D. You have your glue.
E. You're like the police
F. Well, boy.
G. Let the dog see the rabbit
H. Keep your breath to cool your porridge.
I. I was stung.
J. Pull your socks up
-----------
1. Don't be silly
2. You're never where you're wanted
3. Get to work
4. I was embarrassed
5. Shut up
6. You must be joking.
7. Great Job
8. Stop wasting your time talking to me
9. Show it to me and then I'll understand
10. Hello

(answers: A-5, B-6, C-7, D-1, E-2, F-10, G-9, H-8, I-4, J-3)

No comments: