Thursday, May 6, 2010

The British have feet of STEEL

... at least, that's all I can come up with. Between walking everywhere, up and stown steps at the Underground, and their hot-ass shoes, how can they still be standing?! My feet hurt and I was wearing good tennis shoes all day!

I had a HUGE tourist day today. We started with the London Eye, where I nearly had a panic attack. Small pods + WAY up high + no airflow = me sitting down on the bench, trying to breathe. Awesome-- at least I got some good pictures :)

We then took the City Boat Tour (free with our London pass) to the Tower of London, crossed under the London Bridge, saw the Tower Bridge (which everyone *thinks* is the London Bridge), and toured around the Tower itself. In the tower, I got to see the Crown Jewels-- I'm not a jewerly person by any means, but HOLY CRAP those things were gorgeous! Though, the "Royal Spoon" or whatever it is called for anointing the new Queen/King was a little ridiculous.

After the Tower, we had fish n' chips from a local walk-up stand. mmm hmm. It's hard to believe that Londoners stay so thin with all of that deep fried goodness-- but then you see how much they walk, and it makes sense. You burn off that haddock *quick.* We then headed to King's Cross station, on the way to Harrods. Yes, we weaved in and out of lines *during rush hour* to get our pictures taken at Platform 9 3/4 a'la Harry Potter. Good thing they set that "platform" off to the side, because the tourists- and myself - looked crazy!

Harrods-- I don't think I'll ever have enough money for that place. Holy ridiculous-- they have an entire section dedicated to pets! Not just to *buy* pets (which you can), but clothes, food, treats, toys-- it was a coture PetSmart in there. After lauging about the "Juicy" jogging suits for dogs, we left.

We had dinner with a friend of Justin's, Tonny, who moved here from the US a few years ago. AWESOME guy. He answered a lot of our silly tourist questions, showed us to a good restaurant, and took us to a great cupcake place-- INSIDE of a department store. Wild.

We then found a suitcase shop-- Pam's suitcase broke on DAY ONE of the trip. We got her a bag at "Glamour Luggage"-- at a discount, of course, and she can now wheel along with the rest of us.

Tomorrow we have WAY too much to do- we're starting at 8am at St. Paul's Cathedral. I *really* wish some of these tourist sites stayed open past 6pm...

No comments: