Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Kensington on crack and other London nonsense

It's election day in London- I'm such a geek. I LOVE being in London for the elections- and I love being able to read about it and understand it!

Apparently I/we am directionally challenged, as we turned out of the Underground station the wrong way EVERY time on our last day out in London. The people here are great- I really like London. Though, I think someone should tell them that smoking is bad for them. EVERYONE smokes in London. Weird.

What. The. Hell. Kensington Palace was turned into some wonderland kid's nightmare kind of thing. We walked in there, expecting beautiful rooms and gowns, a little bit of history on the princesses who lived there.. but NO. They are undertaking some huge renovation and have decided in the interim to let some artisian group wreck the palace. It was a good thing it was free with our London pass, because it was NOT worth the 13 euro.

We did, however, have a few good things going for us in London. We went to the top of the Wellington Arch, overlooking what used to be the city center. It was pretty amazing up there. We visited the Globe reconstruction and, while a little disappointing (and our tour guide couldn't quit spitting on us!), it was worth the stop. We also visited St. Paul's Cathedral- of course, we go there so early, we didn't get to go to the top of the dome. But that's ok with us-- we climbed every other staircase in London! We had dinner at a recommended restaurant called the Punch Taver (or as we called it, the Punch-you-in-the-face Tavern)- decent food, relaxing- it was a good way to end our time in London.

I need to vent about our hotel. The Nayland looked great on the website. Even looked great when we walked up to it. But the rooms... I knew that they would be small, but it fit 2 twin beds and that was IT. Pam and I were smooshed together, and I continuously whacked my leg against the radiator while trying to open the window that was broken. We had screwy hot water, the staff was alright- but the manager was a bit of a jerk. I would find somewhere else to stay next time I go to London.

Random side note: I discovered a show on tv called "Heads or Tails"- the ENTIRE show was based on the host flipping a coin and someone calling heads or tails (clever show name) and winning or losing money. Seriously?

No comments: