Thursday, May 13, 2010

Day 3 in Rome allll to myself


The other 3 took off for Pompeii this morning, leaving me to sleep in and take a "wind down" day. I started out my morning with more pastries for breakfast, then took the Metro to the Termini. At the Termini, I got on a bus crammed with people (I understand the smell in Rome now- its because we are all crammed on public transportation and, with everyone being packed in so tight, it gets hot- FAST.) and headed to the Campo di Fiori, a Roman farmers market. Of course, I got turned around. After asking for directions, I found a leather shop where everything is made there and grabbed something for a friend- if I had an extra €50, I would have gotten this beautiful hand stitched lime green wallet... mmm hmm.

When I finally walked into the Campo area I stopped to take it all in. People had fresh fruits and vegetables everywhere, local olive oils and sauces, dried vegetables, homemade pasta noodles...there were a few touristy booths, but it was still just wonderful. I wandered around the market, picked up a few things, bought some fresh fruit to snack on and just enjoyed being a local.

I had lunch on the Republicca after trying to find a church with a Bernini statute in it (Escatcy of St. Theresa). A tomato basil and mozzarella panini and pastry? 4€. YES. Cheap and absolutely delicious! After a break (since the churches are closed until 3:30), I went back to the church to see the magnificent statute and, of course, see the 10 other tourists who could find the church. It wasn't hidden, but it wasn't marked. Very incognito. However, I have a problem with people taking pictures within a church unless there are signs saying it's ok- people were taking pictures left and right, and the poor people who were there to worship seemed distracted. It seemed rude, yet I partially understand *why* they are taking the pictures. Oh well- my camera stayed in my pocket out of respect.

Another thing I noticed was the Italian men (of course). Most were very well dressed, but a good number dressed like the typical American. Regardless of the dress, they all had the very "manly" attitude- a little cocky, a little loud- but all that were with a woman treated her like gold. It was amazing to watch- holding doors open, holding purses if asked (!!), walking along side them and steering them through traffic... it was refreshing. Why men in the US don't necessarily do that is beyond me. I noticed that in Paris, too. No matter how the man acted towards other people, they were huge softies and romantics with their women. Aww. Though, I could have done without the constant making out. People were sucking face everywhere!

Side note: I passed a priest on a vespa with a pink helmet and a monk (or someone in the long monk-like robe) sporting jeans under the robe and an ipod. Weird.

I then wandered back down to the Colosseum area to stroll and find shotglasses for people. I sat on the lawn outside of the Colosseum and people watched for a good hour before I lost feeling in my feet and came back to the hotel for a good soaking.

For dinner, we decided to stay local. The hotel recommended a restaurant a few blocks down from the hotel. It was gooood, but you would have think that we had learned to NOT order an appetizer, a first course and a second course. No matter how much time you have between courses, you're still stuffed. But it was so, SO good. Plus, we all got champagne when we sat down (as part of our table fee!), and the other three all ordered LITERS of Coke. Not just a standard bottle, but a GLASS LITER EACH. The bottles were as big as their heads! We closed out the restaurant and headed to bed, after deciding to sleep in a bit tomorrow.

No comments: