Thursday, May 13, 2010

When in Rome...


Today was the day of sightseeing. We activated our 3 day Roma Passes, jumped on the Metro and headed to the Colosseum first thing after a pastry filled breakfast (I had Nutella on toast, a chocolate puff pastry, *some* eggs, and some other chocolate pastry. Mmmm hmm). With the Roma Pass, we jumped to the front of the line and walked right into the Colossuem. WOW. It was ginormius! Again, I had my Rick Steves Audio Guide walking me through the Colosseum- I walked by the emperor' box, saw where the vestial virgins sat, and could even look down into the "under" part of the Colosseum, where gladiators and animals would come up from under the floor. After dodging tour group, we left and went to Palentine Hill and the Roman Forum. We walked through fallen homes, huge landscapes, and saw the elliptical shaped forum. It was a gorgeous walk- the sun was out, birds were everywhere, and it wasn't covered with tourists.

For lunch, we stopped at the Rosa Red (isn't that "Red Red?"). It had a cheap "fixed price" menu for the courses but we quickly learned that you get what you pay for. I had pasta, which *really* needed seasoning, and a chicken breast- disappointing, to say the least. To make up for it, I suggested that we get gelato. While this place was good, it wasn't as good as the gelato from last night!

And, what's with everywhere in Rome making you pay for water? I just want a glass of tap water, not mineral water. This is nuts!

After lunch, we made our way to the Hard Rock (Justin and Jason were getting the pins for someone back home) then to a catacomb. I was so creeped out- they had an entire room of hip bones. The catacomb was made up of about 300 monks from about 200 years ago. There was a sign in the last room that read, "What you are, we once were. What we are, you will be." I was really amazed at the art work (if you can call it art...?) but thoroughly creeped out.

We then went to the National Museum, where I looked at a few busts of people and sat down on the steps-- and fell asleep. Obviously, I wasn't too thrilled by the museum.

We came back to the hotel to clean up and ask for a different place to have dinner. It was suggested that we try the Travestere area for some good, inexpensive dinner. We found a little restaurant after a crazy cab ride (Pam doesn't do well on public transportation, as we tried to take the bus, but that idea was vetoed about 4 stops in) that looked empty and smelled good. For €22 I got bread, a liter of water, homemade spinach and ricotta ravioli, and a caprecio pizza. I couldn't finish my pizza, I was so full! And it was GOOD FOOD! Finally! A Roman restaurant comes through! We, of couse, closed the evening with more gelato and headed back to the hotel via another crazy cab driver. What the hell- nobody uses their blinkers, people make their own lanes, and I swear we almost hit a bus last night! There's no way I could ever drive in Rome!

No comments: