Sunday, May 16, 2010

Hating Air France

A quick run-down about my experience with Air France. I will be sending an "angry letter" to all divisions of Air France (Air Italia, Air France, and Delta) because of this experience. It's surprising how a huge company like Air France can continuously screw up without repercussion.

Flight from DTW to Atlanta: I go to check in, and I'm not in the system. I'm on the plane manifest, but I am not assigned a seat nor will a boarding pass print out for me. 20 minutes later, I'm told to check in at the gate and they will give me a seat-- away from my traveling companions, of course.

Flight from Atlanta to Dublin: Despite the 6 hour layover, nothing really happened on this flight that was Air France's fault. Don't worry, they make up for it later.

Flight from Dublin to London via Paris: Flight gets cancelled due to volcanic ash. This is the airports call, not Air France. We get to the Air France counter to check in/get reaassigned to a new flight, and we get put on a flight at about 4:50pm. We go back to the hotel and enjoy Dublin a little more. When we return to the airport at 4, we are told that we were *not* placed on the 4:50 flight but then reassigned to the 6:30pm flight.

Flight from London to Paris: Pam and Jason's information isn't showing up at the Air France terminal. We're forced to wait in the Air France line.

Flight from Paris to Rome: The stewardess through Air Italia were HOLY rude. You would have thought I asked for their first born child when, in response to *their* question, I said I wanted orange juice to drink.

Flight from Rome to Detroit via Paris: Here's where it gets dicey. I am first bumped from my original flight (and separated from the other 3 travelers). My new flight, I am told, will arrive about 90 minutes before the Detroit connection, so I'm ok with flying by myself. We sat on the tarmak in Rome for 1 hour 45 minutes, had the 2 hour flight, then run through the de Gal airport trying to make our connection (which was scheduled to leave 5 minutes prior). The flight attendants on that flight were not helpful at all- over 90 of us had connecting flights, and they had no information about the connecting flights nor would call and get information. In the case of the Detroit flight, we realize that we will be landing the same time it is scheduled to take off. We ask the flight attendant to request that the flight be held, make arrangements to get us to our next flight, etc. and they don't do anything. We keep getting told "sorry." We land in Paris and we are told that the flight left. I found out though that the other 3 were asking about me to the flight attendants and THOSE flight attendants had no problem calling the tower/the Air France desk at the airport to see what my flight status was. My friends were told that I was on my way to Atlanta. They were on the runway when they asked, which makes it better- I was in the airport, the flight was still on the runway. Plane couldn't be stopped, apparently.

So now I'm stuck with about 8 other passengers waiting for the next flight out of Paris, which is going to route me through Atlanta, give me a 90 minute layover, then home by midnight (I should have been home at 4:55pm). They give us all a coupon for a free sandwich and drink, but it doesn't help. I keep asking at the counter, "are you sure my luggage will get to Detroit?" and I'm told that its on the way.

I board the 9 hour 30 minute flight to Atlanta. Flight was uneventful, but we're left on the runway for an additional 20 minutes after we land. That part sucked.

We get to Atlanta and are told that because of customs, we have to get our luggage from baggage claim, go through customs, then recheck the bags. Of course, we wait- and none of our luggage is there. We now have 20 minutes before the Detroit flight leaves. The Delta agent keeps telling us to make the claim for luggage at the Detroit airport and to "run"- she neglected to tell us that we arrived in Terminal D and were taking off in Terminal B. We had to wait for a shuttle, run UP esclators, etc. We make it *literally* as they are closing the gate. We get on the plane and end up in Detroit.

My luggage is not in Detroit when I land. I am told that *it never left Paris* and that it should be in Detroit by 7pm Sunday. I am having them call me if it arrives by 5; if not, they will have to ship it to me. Too bad that I have my glasses, clothes, and some souvenirs in there.

I expected some hiccups on the flights- after all, we had 8 flights scheduled. But every flight? Absolutely ridiculous. I'm going to pull a Kevin Smith and (after I get a Twitter feed) bitch about it to everyone. GRR. It was almost enough to ruin the trip.

I'm still too angry about the flight situation to reflect on the trip. I'll do it later.

No comments: